Why Pursue a Degree in Chemistry at Rio Grande?
- Small class sizes; therefore, more personalized attention
- Among the lowest tuition for a four year private education in the state
- Research-oriented curriculum prepares students for graduate and professional school as well as chemical industry
- 100% student acceptance into graduate and professional schools
- Immediate employment for graduates entering chemistry-related jobs
- U.S. Department of Labor projects an increase in job opportunities for chemists over the next 10 years
- Payscale.com lists chemistry and chemical engineering positions among the top of starting salary pay scales
- Chemistry majors are well prepared for the MCAT
- Please visit the American Chemical Society's College to Career website to find out more about jobs in chemistry
What Alumni Have to Say about Chemistry at Rio Grande?
- Andrea Merry (URG '13): "The Rio chemistry program is absolutely one of a kind. Personable teaching lessons, multiple research opportunities, and the excellent faculty have best prepared me for my graduate studies."
- Jeffrey Wells (URG '10): "I found the chemistry program at the University of Rio Grande to be both comprehensive and challenging. During my time in the program, I studied the fundamentals of chemistry while also being able to take part in outside research opportunities. The chemistry faculty was highly engaged in their teaching and was always accessible to the students. Overall, the program emphasized scholarship in conjunction with real-world applications. Looking back, I am proud to be an alumnus of the chemistry program at the University of Rio Grande."
- Whitney Smith (URG '13): "My time studying in the Rio Grande chemistry program was a very constructive experience that helped shape me into the individual and student that I am today. I enjoyed the challenges in the classroom as well as the effort the faculty made to help me develop as a future pharmacist."
Brittany Bissell (URG '11): "I am so happy that I was able to participate in the chemistry program at Rio Grande. At any time of the day, I was able to walk into my professors' offices and ask them questions about the previous day's assignment, what steps I should be taking to get ready for pharmacy school, or even about a show that I had watched the night before. No matter what the day's topic, when I was at Rio Grande, I was a part of something, and for that, I am thankful. Not only did I develop great relationships with some amazing teachers, but I was able to learn beyond what I needed for professional school."
Where Have Rio Grande Graduates Been Accepted for Graduate or Professional School?
- Louisiana State University
- Marshall University
- Marshall University School of Pharmacy
- Midwestern University College of Pharmacy - Glendale
- Ohio Northern University College of Pharmacy
- The Ohio State University College of Pharmacy
- Ohio University
- Ohio University Heritage College of Medicine
- Wingate University School of Pharmacy
- University of Cincinnati College of Pharmacy
- University of Florida
- University of South Carolina
- University of Toledo
Where Have Rio Grande Graduates Been Hired?
- Boehringer Ingelheim Roxane Laboratories
- Calgon Carbon Corporation
- Constellium Rolled Products Ravenswood
- Gallipolis City Schools
- Holzer Medical Center
- Jackson City Schools
- Lancaster City Schools
- M & G Polymers
- Ohio Precious Metals
- Ohio Valley Electric Corporation - Kyger Creek Plant
- Sasol Chemicals (USA)
- The Scotts Company
- Shell Oil Company
- TCCI Laboratories
- Union Carbide Corporation
- United States Enrichment Corporation - Portsmouth Gaseous Diffusion Plant