Welsh Scenic Byway Sites

We will be adding church and cemetery histories, photos and other information from the Welsh Scenic Byway sites over the summer of 2014.

1. Welsh-American Heritage Museum-412 East Main Street, Oak Hill, Oh 45656. The Museum was originally the Oak Hill Welsh Congregational Church founded in 1841. It is the center of the Welsh-American activities for Jackson and Gallia Counties. The building was constructed about 1868 and operated as a church until 1962 when it was sold to the Baptists, who worshiped there till 1972. A group of local Welsh-Americans headed by Mildred Bangert and Rev. James Hannah, purchased it and organized the Welsh Museum. It is filled with rare items representing Wales and Welsh-American culture, history and genealogy. It also hosts a Gymanfa every three years and an annual Advent Carol Sing the first Sunday in Advent.

The Museum is open Thursdays and Fridays from 10-3 during June-July-August 2014 and other times by appointment. Contact the Madog Center for Welsh Studies at 740-245-7186 for more information.